Date:      Mon, 18 May 2015 08:48:13 -0400
From:      "John D. Hendrickson" <johnandsara2@cox.net>
To:        Scott Bennett <bennett@sdf.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no X11 after reboot :-(

Scott Bennett wrote:
>      On Tue, 12 May 2015 13:36:05 +0200 Jan Bramkamp <crest@rlwinm.de>
> wrote:
>> On 12/05/15 08:53, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>>       A week ago, after my system had been up for a few weeks, I shut it
>>> down and then rebooted it, after which X11 can't seem to get going.  The
>>> Xorg.0.log ends with
>>> [ log file removed ]
>>> Initializing built-in extension DRI2
>>> /usr/lib/libgomp.so.1: version OMP_3.0 required by /usr/local/lib/libMagickCore-6.so.2 not found
>>> xinit: connection to X server lost
>>>
>>> waiting for X server to shut down (EE) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
>>>
>>> [hellas] 185 %
>>>
>>>       What is OMP?  And why does the X server care about what libMagickCore*
>>> wants in order to start up successfully?  And how do I *fix* this?  Being
>>> limited to a console and virtual consoles (and window(1), thank goodness!)
>>> for the past week has been quite aggravating.
>>>       Many thanks in advance to anyone who can show me the way around this
>>> situation!
>> This looks like a broken dependency on a shared lib. The proper fix is
>
>      But why is a base system library (/usr/lib/libgomp.so.1) issuing a
> message about what something in /usr/local/lib wants?  And, I repeat, why
> does the X server care about libMagickCore* when it is starting up?  Why
> cannot the server run without it?
>
>> to install compatible versions of all executables and shared libs.
>> Upgrade your system for packages or ports like usual. Run pkg check -B
>
>      Well, that is a bit of a problem for me at the moment because the
> /var/db/pkg/local.sqlite file on my system has somehow become corrupted,
> and I have not been able so far to find a way to fix it or to rebuild it
> without the corruption.  (See my posts in freebsd-ports@ in the last 30
> hours or so.)  Running pkg check -B against the existing local.sqlite
> didn't turn up a problem with libMagickCore* stuff, nor would it likely
> find anything regarding a base system library.
>
>> afterward (or install sysutils/bsdadminscripts and use pkg_libchk for
>> more details). If the upgrade did not fix your problem query pkgng for
>> for affected files (the executable and shared lib) e.g. pkg which $path.
>>
>      Thanks for your suggestions.  If I can find a way to fix the package
> data base corruption, I will attempt to run "portmaster -a" again, but I
> don't see how that will fix a mismatch between the base system and ports.
> Port distfiles are supposed to match the major releases of FreeBSD, right?
>

>                                   Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
> * Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *

this is simple

one or more libs or programs during startup needed libMagick , which is
for image processing

X11R7.6 does not depend on libMagick , so it is likely a program that is
  XLogin or the Desktop

i assume your improperly blaming X when infact it has 0 to do with X,
that it's GDM or GNOME or XFCE that needs libMagick: in which case you
do need it - if you plan to use "rather fluffy" desktops to appear
before you see X by default