Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2012 00:41:11 +0400
From:      Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>
To:        python <python@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   lang/python-doc-html questions

Hi!

I'm ready to add updated doc entries to distinfo for other (besides
2.7.3 that is already updated) python versions. I'll do it right now,
but there is some questions that I wanna ask in parallel:

1. What's the point to hold doc entries in distinfo for python versions
that's not in the tree already (like 2.7.2, 2.7.1 etc)? I can't imagine
the situation when user has updated lang/python-doc-html and outdated
lang/pythonXX. Yes, user may stick with outadated minor release, but
it's rare. I believe that this old entries should be just removed. Any
objections?
2. There are no (and never will be because of EOL) updated docs for
lang/python24 and lang/python25 for current versions of this ports. So
this ports is broken forever on this python versions. I willing to
remove 24/25 entries from distinfo and tweak the logic of Makefile to
inform potential users, who will try to install the docs for this
versions with IGNORE knob. Any objections?
3. Python 2.6.0 docs logic is no valid for 2.6.8. Tarball no more
unpacks to ${WRKDIR}/python-docs-${DOCFORMAT}, but into
${WRKDIR}/${DISTNAME}, as other python versions. So aforementioned tweak
should be removed because of reasons in item 1. Objections?
4. Remove postscript-docs Makefile logic, because postscript versions of
documentation were released only for python24/python25 and there is no
such tarballs for current versions of this ports in the tree, nor there
is postscript-docs versions for python >=2.6. So this is just
unnecessary complexity in Makefile. Corresponding slave ports
(lang/python-doc-postscript-a4 and lang/python-doc-postscript-letter)
should be removed too, because they were broken for a long time. Any
objections?
5. TODO: Add epub documentation format. It is available only for python32.

I'm planning to do this as series of micro-commits to not turn it into
`task of my life' and to be sure I'm not break anything.

--
Regards,
Ruslan

Tinderboxing kills... the drives.