Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:45:03 -0500
From:      Matthew Marino <mattm@citystamp.com>
To:        Bob Collins <bobc@anything-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting to freebsd ufs under WinXP

Well
On Friday, February 13, 2004, at 11:32  AM, Bob Collins wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004, Chuck Swiger clacked the keyboard to produce:
>> Peter Leftwich wrote:
>>> Can someone recommend software that lets you mount TO freebsd (ufs)
>>> partition FROM WITHIN Windows XP Pro SP1 (transparently)?
>>
>> I am not familiar with any such software, regrettably.  You'd need a
>> Windows developer experienced with their kernel and filesystem
>> management
>> code to write a "filesystem adaptor", or whatever the Windows phrase
>> is...
>>
>> --
>> -Chuck
>>

> Why not Samba?

Samba works but the configuration can be a cuss. It's the NetBEUI name
server that takes a deeper understanding of Microsoft Networking than
the average Joe has. If your really up for a challenge try sharing the
same ufs volume with Windows and Macintosh clients via Samba and
NetAtalk. Can be done with enough Coke and HoHos to keep you awake for
two days.