Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 13:55:42 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where's the earth-shattering KABOOM?

<<On Thu, 28 Dec 1995 23:33:21 +0000, Gary Jennejohn <garyj@munich.netsurf.de> said:

> I haven't tried it out, but I'll bet that this will fail miserably
> if you do "DESTDIR=/foo/bar make world"

This has never worked, to my knowledge, and was never intended to work
in its current form.  If you want to do something like that, then
you'll need to do the same sort of work as is done by `make release'
in building a chroot environment and then running a `make world'
there.

`make world' is more useful as a VM/IO regression test than as a way
to build a working system.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.