Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:04:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The GPL and the Robinson-Patman Act

Brett Glass said:
> At 03:02 AM 2/23/99 -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
>
> >RMS's lawyers are likely bigger than a reasonable size of us could pool
> >together and afford to hire.
>
> Why? Does he have huge amounts of cash? If so, why does he live in
> a cubicle at MIT?

Doesn't FSF have a pool of cash, and perhaps an agenda that really
sounds good to the liberal elite?  This is a perfect case for
organizations who have the attitude of "knowing what is best for
everyone else."   The silly manifesto reeks of that attitude.

> >What *will* happen, is that times will be less fat in the future, than
> >they are now...  People will end up doing less and less for free, and worry
> >more about feeding their kids, parents, and maybe themselves.  At that
> >point, the gratis programming efforts will diminish, and the jobless
> >programmers (if it ever happens) will wish that there is more code under
> >the BSD license, and avoid anything that they can't profit on based upon
> >their skills...  Either that, they'll be picking fruit in the fields... :-(.
>
> We'll see. I personally think that the legality of the GPL should be
> determined regardless. It's better when one knows what one is up against.

Maybe I don't *hate* GPL nearly as much as just wanting to make sure that
people know that they are following a lazy path that has been paved by
those who "know more than they do."  People who are innovative IP workers
need to consciously control what they do with their works.  Just because
someone is a good programmer, doesn't mean that they really understand
the effects of the disposition of their works.

Note that I used to work in the military complex, and had real problems
with the disposition of my work (even though I am a conservative hawk.)
When things get up-front and personal, feelings change.  In the case of
my work, I decided that just hacking code (or making weapons) wasn't good
enough.  I really want to make sure that work that I do goes to a cause
that supports the ability of other people like me to feed their kids,
etc.  GPL is just not that kind of license.  The GPL legacy isn't for
the programmer, but optimizes the exploitation of programmers, even
more so in some respects than proprietary works.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid