Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:35:06 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hundreds of sockets stuck in TIME_WAIT

In article <local.mail.freebsd-hackers/Pine.BSF.4.05.9906091231241.260-100000@abalaea.ircache.net> you write:
>> And more directly for you, if they're not harming your performance, I
>> wouldn't do *anything*.  They do serve a purpose.
>>

>When benchmarking proxies we find the MSL creates a resource problem for
>us with Web Polygraph (http://polygraph.ircache.net/).
>
>I must admit that we have never measured this as a performance issue.
>However I believe that Pei Cao's group has and found it to be one due to
>the way sockets were maintained in the kernel. I will look for a reference
>for their work. I think that one of her students submitted a patch to
>correct this issue in FreeBSD, so it may not be a problem in 3.1/3.2.

It does become a problem under high load, since the kernel still has
to check all the sockets in TIME_WAIT.  I have a patch that resolves
this problem, but need to integrate it with some of the work that
Garret has done.  If you need the patch now, look for it on the archives
of the freebsd-net mailing list.
--
Jonathan