Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 17:02:50 -0400
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do we *really* need logger(1)?

<<On Wed, 6 Sep 1995 13:30:58 -0700 (PDT), Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com> said:

>   True.  My point was that xinetd can wrap UDP daemons and tcp_wrapper
> can not.  Plus, xinetd can do it without exec'ing an additional program.

>   Filters on border routers should be used to block "outside" syslogd abuse.

Um, no, syslog should be fixed to not accept random junk from anyone
who cares to send it.  Packet filtering is never the correct answer,
despite what some vendors may try to make people think.

As for `logger', it's a useful tool that anyone could write if it did
not exist before.  People running public-access systems should do the
same thing to `logger' as they do to `cc', `as', and `ld'.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.