Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:13:13 -0700
From:      "Tim Pushor" <timp@crossthread.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Apache DSO problems

Hello,

I have compiled apache to use the DSO loading mechanism for modules and all
is working well. I just tried to compile a 3rd party module as a DSO, and it
seemed to work, but when apache tries to initialize the module, I get an
error message:

Syntax error on line 238 of /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_auth_pgsql.so into server:
/usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_auth_pgsql.so: Undefined symbol "PQexec"

The module is mod_auth_pgsql 0.9.0, and it does support DSO. The symbol that
the server cannot locate is in an external shared lib - libpg.so.

I have tried various command line incantations while compiling the module as
well as ensuring the loaders library cache contains the dir that the library
is in (/usr/local/pgsql/lib).

Reading the apache documentation on the DSO mechanism it suggests that there
may be problems with this on non ELF architectures (which this is obviously
not).

Could someone help shed some light on this? For the meantime I will use
static modules, but would *really* like to use DSO.

As an FYI, I am using the apache13 port on FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE.

Thanks!
Tim