Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 07:22:25 -0500
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape library or DLT support in FreeBSD/NetBSD

>    What options do I have if I'm looking for hardware that will
>allow me to backup 20 to 30 gigabytes of data unattended?

First of all, with 30G of disk you're on easy street with about 1/4 of that
total tape if you're using Amanda. So a single DLT10/20 (10 real/20 compressed)
will work fine. You can get by with half that, so DAT 4/8 will do, barely,
but you won't have much room for expansion and Amanda will bitch a lot about
delayed saves. Go by the *uncompressed* size, since Amanda compresses/gzips
and generally does better than the compression on the drive.

We went with DLT at work, after looking into other options, and I'm glad
we did. It's now up to 40/80 so there's plenty of room for growth.

>On the other hand, DLT is more expensive (both drive
>hardware and media) and isn't as mature as DDS-2 technology, but it is
>much faster that DAT and you only have to worry about the software
>seeing one giant device.

I wouldn't say that DLT isn't mature. DEC's 1/2 inch cartridges date back
to the '80s. The TZ87 is really a linear (heh) descendent of the old TK70.