Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:35:00 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to handle jumbo etherney frames

>>    The jumbo frames are only useful if you also have VLAN support, which we
>> don't have currently. We also need support for large mbuf clusters; this
>
>hmmm i don't get this -- why is this related to VLAN ?

   Because most ethernets consist of a mix of hosts that don't have jumbo
frame capability. If you use jumbo frames without VLANs, then ALL hosts must
support jumbo frames (and I think would also have to be gigabit ethernet
connected since jumbo frames weren't supported in 802.3...although I'm
assuming that the gigabit spec allows for jumbo frames, which may be a
bad assumption on my part).

-DG

David Greenman