Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 2020 12:40:03 -0300
From:      Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar>
To:        Philip Homburg <pch-fbsd-2@u-1.phicoh.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Revisiting FreeBSD-SA-08:10.nd6 (or: avoiding IPv6 pain)

On 6/4/20 12:22, Philip Homburg wrote:
>> However, when a packet from an "off-link" network is employed, the
>> sending node has no way of knowing where to send the packet, unless it
>> simply swaps the src and dst mac addresses, and uses the source address
>> of the packet as the destination addresses.
>
> No, a node can just use the normal IPv6 send mechnisms to send a NA
> message. If the destination is off-link then the packet gets sent to the
> default router.

Agreed. I missed this. Although there might be corner cases where this
doesn't apply -- i.e., for some reason you have no routes.

But yes: use normal IPv6 send mechanisms. And also probably motivate
that nodes use the address of the sending interface (strong-end system
model, per RFC1122).

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont