Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 23:21:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A web-based FreeBSD configuration tool.

> > > But old isn't necessarily bad, and Java isn't a scripting language.  And
> > > scripting launguages have a very valuable role in this problem domain.
> >
> > You must not be running the same JAVA *interpreter* I run...
>
> Since when has the manner in which a program is "executed" decided if
> it is a scripting langauge?

Uh, "day one"?

> C is translated into assembler which is interpreted by the hardware
> in my Intel processor, does that make C or assembler scripting langauges?
> No.

Right.  No.  It makes them compiled languages, or more formally, native
instruction set languages.

JAVA can be this... on JAVA chips.  LISP can be this on Symbolics machines.

> What if I use the Bochs interpreter?  Still no.

BOCHs is not an interpreter, it's a simulator.  You are confusing
interpretation, simulation, and emulation.

> You wouldn't make a distinction between imperative, functional and logic
> programming languages based on their execution mode, but rather in their
> approach to expressing relationships and algorithms, it is the same with
> scripting languages.

Iterative programming is not ideally suited to interpretation.  An
interpretive language that allows it to be done anyway is a scripting
language.

Would you feel more comfortable if I discarded the term "scripting"
in favor of "interpretive"?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---