Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 15:58:42 -0700
From:      "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com, mburgett@cmnsens.zoom.com
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6 - New results..

Would some one explain how to get the replacement for old K6-200?
Talk to the AMD or the vendor? and how huch will cost for the replacement?

Thanks,

-Jin

}>Ok, I got my replacement K6-200 yesterday, after the distributor tried to say
}>there was nothing wrong with the old chip (because they couldn't make it fail
}>running windoze for a couple of hours... :(
}>
}>So far, the chip is performing flawlessly.  I've run 10 full 'make worlds' in
}>the last 24 hours (takes about 2 hours, with a 20 minute pause between them),
}>and all have completed perfectly, without any sign of the errors I was seeing
}>before.
}>
}> The original chip contained the manufacturing code:
}>
}> 9716CJD
}>
}> And noted the voltage as 2.9
}>
}> The replacement contains the manufacturing code:
}>
}> B 9731FPAW
}>
}> And notes the voltage as 2.9 core/3.3 I/O
}>
}> Significant? Dunno, just trying to fill in blanks. :)
}
}I think currently all the K6's are Rev B.  I don't know for sure, but my
}guess is that the 2 digits after the 97 are the week number... So this new
}one is a July chip I think.  The previous was probably the first batch
}(near the end of March and beginning of April) if I have the code right.
}AMD has been playing around with the markings so I guess they are still
}changing the markings.  I think Rev A was the engineering sample batch
}that was sent to MB companies.
}