Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2013 20:24:54 -0600
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Matthew Ahrens <mahrens@delphix.com>
Subject:   Re: Improving ZFS performance for large directories

On Jan 29, 2013, at 7:29 PM, "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk> =
wrote:

>=20
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Day" <toasty@dragondata.com>
>=20
>> I think some of the issue is that nothing is being allowed to stay =
cached long. We have several parallel rsyncs running at once that are =
basically scanning every directory as fast as they can, combined with a =
bunch of rsync, http and ftp clients. I'm guessing with all that =
activity things are getting shoved out pretty quickly.
>=20
> zfs send / recv a possible replacements for the rsyncs?

Unfortunately not. We're pulling these files from a host that we do not =
control, and isn't running ZFS. We're also serving these files up via a =
public rsync daemon, and the vast majority of the clients receiving =
files from it are not running ZFS either.

Total data size is about 125TB now, growing to ~300TB in the near =
future. It's just a ton of data that really isn't being stored in the =
best manner for this kind of system, but we don't control the layout.

-- Kevin