Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2017 09:54:33 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Matthias Fechner <idefix@fechner.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Should a package restart on upgrade itself

--Wjspmq6N72sNzV6w

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 06:29:24PM +0200, Matthias Fechner wrote:
> Dear all,
>=20
> it is always a pain if pkg upgrade a lot of packages to restart all
> services to make sure update/security fixes are applied to all running
> services.
>=20
> Is there an option in pkg that it restart services automatically or is
> it OK if I would add a post-install script to the packages (I maintain)
> that will include a "service foo restart"?
>=20
> What is best practice here?

I do not claim that this is "best practice."  But what I do, during my
weekly updates of my "production" systems (at home) is:

* "Clone" the active slice to the other slice.
* Build the world & suitable kernels on the build machine.
* Mount /usr/src and /usr/obj from the build machine.
* Set DESTDIR to a suitable directory on the other slice.
* make installkernel ${DESTDIR} && \
  mergemaster -U -u 0022 -p && \
  make installworld ${DESTDIR} && \
  mergemaster -F -U -u 0022 -i && \=20
  make delete-old ${DESTDIR}
* reboot from the other slice.

* Mount /usr/src and /usr/obj from the build machine.
* Stop all services that depend on 3rd-party software (ports/packages).
* pkg upgrade
* make delete-old-libs
* reboot

(I elided a few minor embellishments; the above are the essential steps.)

It seems to work for me.

Peace,
david
--=20
I look forward to voting against Trump again at the earliest opportunity.

--Wjspmq6N72sNzV6w

--Wjspmq6N72sNzV6w--