Date:      Mon, 14 May 2012 22:20:29 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't get hplip to work on HP LaserJet 1212nf MFP

from "Edwin L. Culp W." <edwinlculp@gmail.com>:

> I have the exact same model sitting here with me and have been trying to
> get it to work again.  I can't really understand why it doesn't.  It did
> work for me perfectly for a couple of months and then my  computer's
> motherboard died and after the change, I haven't been able to get it to
> work again.  It finds its IP through dhcp and but I can't get it to react.
> My previous email to the list is at:

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2012-April/240116.html

> We should be able to get it going.   I haven't looked at it for a couple of
> weeks (Just long enough to have forgotten what I have done) so I'll try
> again from zero and let you know if I have any luck.

> ed

> I rebuilt everything and still can't get it to work.  I even tried USB for
> configuration and it says that "HP LaserJet Professional m1212nf MFP,
> hpcups 3.12.2, requires proprietary plugin" so I'm going back to IP and try
> again from scratch.

Thanks for your effort.

So you managed to get the printer recognized by hp-setup with USB, but it couldn't download and/or install the proprietary plugin?

I've read recent reviews of various printer brands in PC World, and HP and Lexmark got low ratings for reliability.

Now I have a strong aversion to buying anything in the future of HP brand, except toner if I can get the printer to work.

Their tech support was offshored to India, and they had a difficult time communicating in English.  Also, their free tech support, either by phone or email, is only for one year, while Lexmark allowed five years.

Some things I can try include:

Building new version of the port for both amd64 and i386; I will want to build i386 distribution from source to install on a USB stick both for wine and for the old computer.  Old computer can't boot directly from USB but can with Plop Boot Manager (http://www.plop.at/).  I could also try the MS-Windows software with wine.

NetBSD with pkgsrc-wip; also retry the old build with Ethernet, but getting IP address from wireless router if not from dmesg.boot .

Linux with a package manager like pacman or conary.

OpenIndiana: I saw a reference to hplip, so worth a try with USB sticks even if OpenIndiana can't access my hard drive due to GPT.  I actually downloaded and wrote the image to a USB stick.

Tom