Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 06:44:58 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        borehawg <bangpath@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        John Sconiers <jrs@enteract.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strating the GUI

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 02:05:05PM -0800, borehawg wrote:
> I think it's called kdm.  I haven't ever used it, because I prefer to
> maintain a command line freedom of action.

Me too. It's called xdm but we picked that up in our -newbies thread.

> Also, if you want to pay for a commercial x-server, like Metro-X or
> AcceleratedX or something, then that feature is available as part of the
> server package.

No need. Use the same free X server that comes with FreeBSD and xdm is
there already, as long as you can remember what it's called :-)

For the sake of the -questions archives, yes, it is in the FAQ but any
excited newbie could miss it if they hadn't heard of 'xdm' before.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-