Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 13:41:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, dv@dv.ru
Subject:   Re: -stable problem

Mark Murray wrote:
> John Polstra wrote:
>> I can't think of any reasonable explanation for this.  The assertion
>> is in the dynamic linker.  But it already did its job long ago, before
>> the first message ("Trying x.x.x.x...") was printed.  I can only guess
>> that telnet is making a random jump which happens to land in the
>> middle of the dynamic linker code.  Maybe it's a kernel bug.
>
> ...or the error was printed by telnetd (on the other side).

That's probably it.  But still, if it's an intermittant problem
then I'm inclined to say it's not a dynamic linker bug.  (The file
containing the assert hasn't been changed since September, 1998.)  A
core dump and/or ktrace of the failing process would help a lot.

John
---
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong