Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 21:28:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike <mike@seidata.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.2.5 problems on a Dell Dimension XPS D300

Hi all:

Assuming 'questions' is the place to ask *this* question... :)

Work was nice enough to purchase a nice, fast, 300MHz P2 system for me...
unfortuneately, it's loaded with lots of hardware that likes to assume
you're using Windows 95...  and...  if you're not, it doesn't work. :)

When booting 2.2.5 from the CD or with the boot floppy, got a hang as soon
as the ethernet card was detected.  It's a 3Com 900 Combo card - and guess
what...  it's a PnP jumperless card.  Can you say trash? :)

I removed the card and I thought I was off scott free...  but I then got
weird results from the secondary IDE controller.  Here's my current setup:

	wdc0
		Primary master: IBM 8.5GB IDE
		 Primary slave: not used
	wdc1
		Secondary master: ATAPI CD-Rom
		 Secondary slave: not used

It detects the IBM hard disk with no problems, but then it tries to detect
wdc1 and all goes down hill from there.  The screen goes blank except for
a flashing cursor in the lower-left hand corner...  after a few minutes
the screen blinks and a beep is heard, but nothing changes (screen still
blank).  It just sits there and does nothing...

I can get into the install routine if I disable wdc1 in the initial kernel
config, but I need wdc1 to access the CD-Rom (and install from the CD).

At this point I *think* I'm logically suspecting the CD-Rom (not the
controller), and would like to know if anyone else has had problems with
(or used at all...) the Toshiba XM-6102B 24x drive.

Just wanting some ideas...  I think I'll try removing the drive and
enabling the contoller just to see if I get the lock up or not...  that
should give me enough to do for the night.  I suppose I could also try
setting the CD-Rom drive up as primary slave...  ;)

Oh...  and...  what's the general consensus (yeah, right!) on the best NIC
and CD-Rom drive for FreeBSD? :)

TIA

---
 Mike Hoskins                           Kettering University
 SEI Data Network Services, Inc.        CS/CE Dual-Major Program
 mike@seidata.com                       hosk0094@kettering.edu
 http://www.seidata.com                 http://www.kettering.edu