Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:03:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "K. Greenwood" <k_greenwood1@yahoo.com>
To:        ringgo@rnpa-online.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3COM509B-UTP

--- ringgo@rnpa-online.net wrote:
> Hallo
> Thank's for the help
> Seems better now, NIC has detected but it seem got
> problems:
> I got a message when booting
> ep0: <3Com 3C509-TPO EtherLink III> at port
> 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on isa0
> ep0: Ethernet address 00:04:32:5j:bla:bla
> ifmedia_set: no match for 0x24/0xfffffffff
> panic: ifmedia_set
>
> I use FreeBSD 4.2 RELEASE and always got that
> problems.
> But if I run NIC on FreeBSD RELEASE 2.2.8, it's work
> fine....Why?
>
> On Thu, 16 August 2001, "K. Greenwood" wrote:
>

> > --- ringgo@rnpa-online.net wrote:
> > > Hai
> > > Could you help me some ....:)
> > > Can you tell me what should i put in my kernel
> > > configuration exactly
> > >
> > > Thank's

> 6

> configuration
> > > for
> > > booting

> as
> salt.

> came
> > > with

> bring
> > > BSD

> > > diagnostic
> > > the

> selecting
> > > your

> know
> > > that
> and
> >
> > Well, starting off with the GENERIC kernel is
> > generally a safe bet.
> >
> > I find it's best to recompile with just the
> GENERIC
> > kernel first then add things on later.  Please
> note,
> > the GENERIC kernel has support for the 3c509.
> >
> > In regards to things that will DIRECTLY relate to
> the
> > 3c509... I can see the following.
> >
> > device        isa    #it is an isa, right?
> > device        ep    #should not require extra
> flags
> >
> > #these are not directly required by 3c509 except
> > #for ether, obviously.  The rest is stuff that
> should,
> > #as far as I know, never be removed.  I left out
> the
> > #explanitory stuff, but it's in the generic
> kernel.
> >
> > pseudo-device    loop
> > pseudo-device    ether
> > pseudo-device    sl
> > pseudo-device    ppp
> > pseudo-device    tun
> > pseudo-device    pty
> > pseudo-device    md
> > pseudo-device    gif    4
> > pseudo-device    faith
> >
> > After you have sucessfully recompiled the kernel
> with
> > the above (once again, it should all be in the
> GENERIC
> > kernel (and the initially installed kernel as
> well) of
> [...]

Wow... okay.  First off, is your card actually a TPO
card, and is it plugged in?  Also, when you were in
the 3c5x9cfg program did you see where it told you
what interface to use (such as BNC, AUX, TPO, or
auto-detect)?  First I would ensure that it's set to
TPO (twisted pair, RJ-45, big telephone cable,
whatever) and ensure that you have a solid
connection/cable/hub/etc.

Next... does this problem panic and freeze the whole
system?  If not skip the rest of the paragraph.  If
so, then you will have to reset the system and when
prompted, press a button to stop the loading process
and "boot -s" (boot in single user mode) mount -a (all
drives) to access the /etc/rc.conf.

Now, I have not tried this before but a brief scan
indicates that you may have a ifconfig problem, which
is loaded from the /etc/rc.conf.

You may want to add the media type with the 10BaseT
option (a brief example may be in order).

ifconfig_ep0="inet 192.168.0.5  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_flags="10BaseT"

Obviously, you have to put a valid IP address where I
have the 192.168.0.5.

BTW, ensure that ep0 is in your network_interfaces
line in your rc.conf...

You will note that I also sent this message to the
mailing list, because I don't know what your problem
really is, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can
chime in (and if it is by chance correct, it will be
archived for future reference).  Hope this is of some
help.

K. Greenwood