Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:28:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      rich@rdrose.org
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Ronan Lucio <ronan@melim.com.br>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jail question

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > I=B4m a little mess about it
>=20
> This is the wrong list to post such questions, try freebsd-questions.

Peronsally, I think this was the correct list for the question, it's just
the Ronan has not understood the jail concept, which hopefully, I will be
able to help with now.

A jail is a kind of virtual machine that can be created under FreeBSD. It
is not a *complete* virtual machine, like VMWare is, merely a set of
processes and permissions that are completely unconnected to those outside
that jail. Note that "outside that jail" can mean both on the rest of the
machine, and in other jails on the same machine. It is similar chroot, but
far stronger, imposing more restrictions on what the proccesses inside the
jail can affect on the machine, and what they can tell about the machine.
The purpose is to separate things as completely as possible.

There is a large benefit to be gained by putting the mail daemon into a
jail. You will make the rest of the Operating System much harder to break
into, even if the mail daemon is broken into. As I said, this is just my
opinion. I do not run a mail server of any significant size, nor do I
claim to be a security or jail expert.

The choice of whether to use jail or not is up to you. People obsessed
with security would do it without thinking. People not concerned at all
would not even think about it. You have to decide what you are prepared to
do. Personally, I would advise trying it at least, on a test machine, just
so that you know how to do it later, even if you then decide it is not
worth doing to the production mail server. If I ran a production mail
server, I would put the mail daemon in a jail.

For general questions, about setting up jail, rather than the security
implications of jail, I would agree that questions@freebsd.org is a better
list, but for question about the security of jail, then this list if the
one to choose.

One more disclaimer - I do not claim to be a jail expert, what I have set
up is merely my understanding of jail. I could be wrong, and if I am, I
hope to be corrected on the list, before you you have taken any bad
decisions based on what I have said.

rik