Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 04:34:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jerry Murdock <jerry_murdock@yahoo.com>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, Mark Thumper Weisman <mystic_mac1@mac.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anybody on winbindd?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Grant" <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To: "Mark Thumper Weisman" <mystic_mac1@mac.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 6:50 AM

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Mark Thumper Weisman wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to set up my 4.5 box to use Samba to authenticate against a
> > W2K box. I've read all the webpages and man pages about this, however
> > during a "clean make" with samba using the ./configure --with-winbind it
> > comes up with a "pam" error, and when I try to update the pam_smb
> > package, it tells me I'm missing some lib files that are actually there?
> > Any suggestions (other than to bring everything over to FreeBSD?)?
>
> I think (at least, I'm under the impression) that winbind needs NSS
> support; I didn't think that fbsd had it.

Partially true.

The winbindd daemon actually works fine under fbsd.

If you want the auto-magical user management features of winbind, NSS support
is required. libnss_winbind will not currently work under fbsd.

If all you need is a pam auth source, then pam_winbind works fine if you've
updated the port in the past few days.

Winbind also works OK for use with Squid 2.5 's upcoming winbind authentication
helpers.

Jerry