Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:18:37 +0100
From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dirpref benefit on virtual disks

Hi,

Bill Moran wrote on Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 01:23:52PM -0500:
[..]
> That being said, I don't _know_.  It would be interesting to test
> it.  Since you're already considering recreating directories, why
> not do a test to see if it's worth it?  Just take a directory tree
[..]
I just did it. I've copied the FreeBSD mirror (which should be
complicated enough) onto a free partition, and then ran a find
on the original location and then on the new one.

The find command was:
  find . -print > /dev/null

the result seemed convincing

old dirpref: 2.97s user 67.45s system 6% cpu 17:36.22 total
new dirpref: 2.09s user 5.94s system 5% cpu 2:39.32 total

But I cannot rule our side-effects. The system is not quiet,
and the array with the old code is much more busy than the spare
one, which is not busy at all. Anyway, I will recreate the tree on
the busy array und do the test again.

Thanks so far,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock           - Burn them to ashes, then burn the ashes. -
*Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 25735 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/*