Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:24:28 -0700
From:      "Michael K. Smith - Adhost" <mksmith@adhost.com>
To:        "Jeremy Chadwick" <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>, <eculp@casasponti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: I've just found a new and interesting spam source - legitimatebounce messages

--PGP_Universal_7A899A4F_B0BB0C71_1403F6CE_F0301BB5

> The term coined for this type of mail is "backscatter".
>=20
> There is no easy solution for this.  The backscatter article on
> postfix.org, for example, caused our mail servers to start rejecting
> mail that was generated from PHP scripts and CGIs on our own systems,
> which makes no sense.  The article:
>=20
> http://www.postfix.org/BACKSCATTER_README.html
>=20
> If the backscatter is all directed to a single Email address (rather
> than a series of addresses, e.g. sdfkjhsfjkksjdf@yourdomain.com, and
> you have *@yourdomain.com accepted), then a solution is to reject
> mail with an RCPT TO of an account or virtual address that does not
> exist on your machine.
>=20
> This, of course, has a wonderful side effect: spammers now have a way to
> detect what Email addresses on your box legitimately accept mail, thus
> once they find one which never gets a bounceback, will start pounding
> that address to kingdom come.
>=20
> Let me know if you do find a reliable, decent solution that does not
> involve SPF or postfix header_checks or body_checks.
>=20

The following doesn't fix the problem but it does help mitigate the deluge.=
  We use a PERL script to tail our maillogs looking for any source IP that =
tries to send mail to more than 4 invalid addresses.  When flagged, that IP=
 is then added to a PF table that blocks the address and issues RST's for 1=
2 hours.  Of course, we also have a whitelist for "valid" SMTP servers.  Li=
ke I said, it doesn't catch it all, but it catches *a lot* and generates al=
most no complaints.  This does help obfuscate the valid/invalid addresses b=
ecause all mail is accepted as far as the sender is concerned until the IP =
is blocked at the network layer. =20

The usual complaint is from an remote office that has 12 real estate agents=
 behind a single IP, all with Outlook set to check mail "sooner than now." =
 :-)

Mike