Date:      Tue, 5 Jul 2016 17:06:17 +0200
From:      Ivan Radovanovic <radovanovic@gmail.com>
To:        Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>, Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mathieu Prevot <mathieu.prevot@gmail.com>, Carsten Larsen <cs@innolan.dk>, =?UTF-8?Q?Romain_Tarti=c3=a8re?= <romain@blogreen.org>
Subject:   Re: Maintaining mono/.net

On 06/30/2016 06:31, Russell Haley wrote:
> Apparently I was mistaken, there is no way to "apply" to an
> organization.  Please feel free to send me your handle like David, and
> I'll add you.
>
> And just in case anyone is fuzzy on GitHub access: There is no need to
> join the FreeBSD-DotNet organization to create pull requests (i.e.
> push patches) and our end products should wind up in the Ports tree
> when we are done.

I had some spare time during weekend so I was playing little bit with
mono - I cloned mono repository, then branched "freebsd" from their 4.4
branch (which is maybe also nice coincidence (freebsd and bsd4.4)), then
I merged all our changes in that branch - I added Romain's patches to
eglib, I added my implementation of FS watcher to System.dll, I also
added test for FS watcher to test cases (so hopefully it will be easier
to spot errors), I also fixed just couple of warning in C code they have
in main mono source (there are many warnings there, some look serious to
me - my plan is to keep reducing their number).

Instead of changing their Kevent watcher implementation I added this one
as completely new FS watcher (FreeBSD watcher), and I modified
mono/metadata/filewatcher.c to always use this watcher when compiled on
FreeBSD (I don't know about kevent implementation on other BSDs - maybe
FreeBSD implementation should be used there as well).

All mono tests pass (running gmake check), but those related to profiler
(they segfault in native code - I am planning to investigate that further).

Btw, I am configuring mono with:

./configure --disable-dtrace --with-checked-build=yes

since if I leave dtrace enabled I get billion linking errors later (I
will investigate that at certain point as well).

Now, the question is how I push these changes to repository Russ created
(is that repository we want to use for this project)? I am also not
familiar enough with git to know if this setup now will work (we were
talking to have our local repositories to talk to main mono repository
for reading, and our (fbsd) repository for writing (to keep patches),
now actual setup is that repository Russ created is forked from mono (I
don't know if that changes anything)). Maybe somebody can clarify this?

Kind regards,
Ivan