Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:58:27 -0700
From:      Edward Elhauge <ee@uncanny.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Frustration with SCSI system

Hello Freebsders,

I've been using FreeBSD over the last 6 years (since I switched from
NetBSD) to run a small ISP out of my basement.

I've had about six disk crashes in as many years and still don't know how
to work reliably with them.

I have installed UPS boxes on each machine and that seems to have lowered
the incidence of failure, but failures still happen; yesterday during our
heat wave in the San Francisco area (possible brownouts also) I had
another.

OK, so you have to expect these things; but I never seem to find an easy
way to recover these systems. The only thing that I've seen work has been
to mount the disk on another system, back it up, reformat the drive, copy
things back over and find out what was trashed. THERE MUST BE A BETTER
WAY.

It seems like SCSI systems can't use the bad144 program. They are supposed
to autorecover on bad sectors, but every system that I've had to recover
seems to be in a state where the bad sectors aren't remapping. I've tried
buying top of the line hardware, and it does work faster, but no more
reliably than the cheap stuff. Once you get in this state it is difficult
to mount the partitions so as to recover what is there.

I really need some good advice here. Do I need to buy RAID hardware for
each and every server in my network? Is there some way to force the SCSI
system to remap bad drives?

The error I'm getting is:
	MEDIUM ERROR info:1010f asc:14,1

My configuration is:
	1) Pentium-S 100 Mz
	2) 128M
	3) Adaptec 2940 Ultra/Ultra SCSI with Bios 1.25
	4) Seagate ST3437 4GB
	5) FreeBSD 3.4

Any advice on how to efficiently bring my server back up or how I can
reengineer my system to avoid this in the future, will be greatly
appreciated.
--
        Edward Elhauge <ee@uncanny.net> -- Uncanny Inc., San Francisco
"War is like love; it always finds a way." -- Bertold Brecht