Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 06:25:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        cracauer@cons.org, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thread issues

> Having played with threads under NT, I must say that I find its APIs both
> clean and easy to use.  I wonder if we should take a step back and consider
> what would be the best interface to supply for our users even if it vastly
> differs from a "conventional UNIX thread" implementation.  We can always
> provide POSIX APIs on top of FreeBSD's native thread APIs.
>
> Threads and AIO are two features that the people doing embedded systems
> with FreeBSD really want.  In most cases, they are interested in
> performance and time to market, not portability, so designing our own
> interfaces would not hinder their efforts. In fact, a cleaner, more logical
> set of APIs may reduce their TTM and make FreeBSD even more viable in this
> arena.

I don't agree.  There is enough risk in a FreeBSD aproach that adhering
to a standard API is a requirement.  Working against an existing spec
helps piece-wise implementation also.

I have no complaint with a WIN32 thread interface as well, though I
prefer to have the POSIX API native.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936