Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2007 11:35:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gore Jarold <gore_jarold@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   help needed - tuning a filesystem for rm and cp ?

I have a filesystem that a lot of deletions and
intra-filesystem copying (cp) are done.  System is
FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, i386 32-bit, SATA drives attached
to twa0: <3ware 9000 series Storage Controller>.

It is a 8 TB filesystem that I created with:

newfs -i 32768 -U /dev/da2

I have done no further optimization to this
filesystem, the kernels, or the disks, etc.

I would like very much for rm and cp processes
(copying files from one place to another on the same
filesystem) on this filesystem to complete more
quickly.  Is there any kind of tuning I can do to
achieve this ?

If so, what expenses do I incur in other operations ?

The CPU and ram on this system are both essentially at
zero.  The 4 GB of ram is barely used, and the 4 GB of
swap has never been touched.

All comments and suggestions appreciated.