Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 02:39:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HylaFAX / ISDN

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Brian Somers wrote:

> > On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 10:27:51AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > > If you really want to do this, you'll need to get a TA.  It works
> > > quite nicely with a TA doing faxing and a proper ISDN card doing the
> > > data connections (you'll need two numbers,
> >
> > Why? ISDN data connections are distinguishable from ISDN voice connections,
> > which is what analog FAX calls look like. This is the exact setup I'm using.
> > Yes, i4b can pickup data calls at ....56 (I do this for testing a new
> > i4b release) and my modem connected to my TA can get fax calls.
>
> I assumed both fax and voice calls appeared as voice.  Is this not
> the case ?

I believe so, yes. And I don't believe i4b currentsy includes a software
modem implementation, nor is likely to in the near future.

The only way that I can think of to receive a fax over an i4b TA is to set
it up as an i4btel device, write some code to connect it bidirectionally
(with appropriate conversion) to /dev/audio and, with appropriate line
voltage and DC power adjustments, plug an external fax modem into the
soundcard. Plug that into the serial port and run a slightly hacked (so as
to know when to answer) mgetty or HylaFAX or whatever on that serial port.

Or write a software modem.

Disclaimer: I make no representation that such use of a modem/soundcard is
safe, desirable, functional or even legal. If you break your equipment,
you get to keep both pieces. If it's not your equipment, they may break
your legs. Or send you a bill. Or both. If the police turn up on your
doorstep, I won't visit you in prizon. Use it at your own risk.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget