Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:27:50 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd-7.4 + std gcc 4.2.1 fails to honour -march=i586

On Jul 20, 2011, at 9:13 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
> I think this is a harder problem than you expect.  It is not just the =
crt files
> that matter, but every library.  You would need CPU-specific versions =
of every
> static library on the build system, and possibly you would want to do =
this for
> all shared libraries too.

gcc has support for what it calls multilib.  It was originally for MIPS =
where there were 3 ABIs that needed to be supported simultaneously (o32, =
n32 and n64).  However, it is general enough to adapt to your needs, I =
think.

The harder part is fixing things like the ports and such to that as =
well...  The medium hard part is fixing buildworld to generate all this =
stuff in the right places.

Warner