Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 14:45:29 -0800
From:      Tim Wiess <twiess@ahaza.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with Dual Athlons

Hello all,
I've recently put together a dual Athlon system, and unfortunately so far I
have had nothing but problems running FreeBSD on it. I have gone through many
of the archives in the hackers, bugs, and smp lists, and while most indicate
that they have had much success running FreeBSD on dual Athlons, there have
been a few cases which were similar to mine. Basically, I am unable to run
the system for more than 30 minutes without getting a panic.

mp_lock = 01000002; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 00000000
fault virtual address   = 0xa0a
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc02218e8
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xff80fbc0
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xff80fbc0
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = Idle
interrupt mask          = bio   <- SMP: XXX

The instruction pointer points to the worklist_insert routine in the
soft updates code. Although I don't think that it's the file system that's
really the source of the problem, since I believe I've seen different
instruction pointers listed for the same type of panic.

In the other cases I was reading about, their panics were also caused by a
page fault. Unfortunately it didn't seem like the source of the problem was
ever really located. So I thought I would run this by you all and see if
anyone had any additional thoughts or suggestions.

For the record, I'm running the 1.2Ghz Athlons on a Tyan S2460 board with
256MB of 266Mhz DDR-SDRAM.

thanks

tim