Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2012 23:20:17 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Version Selection

I have a number of servers that I am about to upgrade to FreeBSD 9.0.  =
The processors all have the ability to run i386 or amd64.  The machines =
all have 2 GB memory which is more than adequate for their intended use. =
 Some of these are replacing very old equipment that is being retired =
and did not have the ability to run amd64 so everything has been i386 =
till now.  The question is what are the advantages or disadvantages of =
switching to amd64?  I have tested all the various applications on amd64 =
and they work fine.  Is there going to be any benefit down the road in a =
few years to being on amd64?  If so, now would be the time to switch.