Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 14:37:04 -0700
From:      fyeung@fyeung8.netific.com (Francis Yeung)
To:        pete@sms.fi
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: real time mpg3 encoder?

Pete,

Thank you for the education.

Now, I understand.

You folks are talking about MPEG1 layer 3 audio streams and
players.  MPEG1 audio can be encoded in 3 standards called layers.
MPEG2 can also support MPEG1 audio.  MPEG2 audio added surround sound
with 5.1 channels.  DVD uses MPEG2 video but MPEG2 audio only in
Europe, Dolby AC3 audio in the US.   In the past, most MPEG (1
and 2) players and encoders are for layer 1 and 2.  Layer 3 is for
low bit rate encoding and only until recently people are using layer
3 to stream high quality audio on Internet.

Many thanks.

Francis