Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 12:14:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, FreeBSD Chat List <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Subject:   Re: ECC worth the extra cost for SOHO server?

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Chris Dillon wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, with every X86 chipset I've used at least, the correction
> > happens automatically, and the NMI is only there to alert you that it
> > has happened.  Most systems will let you turn the NMI off for
> > corrections and only issue an NMI for an un-correctable error.
>
> But how will it "alert"? Will show up on the screen?

It alerts the OS by issuing an NMI (Non-Maskable Interrupt).  What
happens after that is up to the OS.  The OS will generally as a "bad
thing" and halt.  AFAIK, FreeBSD will always panic whenever it
receives an NMI (unless possibly you specify the NMI_POWERFAIL option
in your kernel config), so I simply turn off NMIs for correctable
errors and leave the NMI on for non-correctable errors.  That way
FreeBSD will not panic when a correction has happened and it can carry
on its merry business, but it will take the proper action by panicing
when a non-correctable error has happened.

> I finally found an Athlon Tbird motherboard that supports ECC.
> Contrary to previous info IT IS KT133. Abit K7V (I think that is
> the model.. it is an Abit board anyway).

I wouldn't trust any of those VIA chipsets, especially to do ECC.
You'd be better off getting a motherboard with an Intel 440BX chipset
and a processor to match (wether its a Celeron, PII, PIII).  I'm not
sure if the newer Intel 815 does ECC or not, but it would be a better
option if it does.  If you're rabid Anti-Intel, either get a board
with AMD's 750 chipset (the first Athlon chipset) and a supported
processor, or get a board with their newest 760 chipset, which you
might have a hard time finding at the moment.

If money is no object, your best bet is to get a motherboard with one
of the ServerWorks chipsets on it (very sweet chipset), which
unfortunately only support Intel processors at the moment.  One of
those motherboards will set you back about $600 or more, but they're
the only option, IMHO, for a good X86 server.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org