Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:49:30 -0600
From:      "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
To:        admin <admin@pacex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securing FreeBSD against hacking

admin wrote:

> 1.  How do I setup a dedicated machine to collect data and connection
> attempts to my machines

I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind, but you could setup
syslog to log to a remote machine.

> 2. How to implement a notification systems to alert when critical files
> on the server have been tampered with.

A combination of syslog and tripwire might work here. I have never tried
it myself.

> 3. How to find out if my machines are REALY CLEAN (some sort of software
> auditing to determine if what is already in the machines is a good
> benchmark for future security audits)

Tripwire is a file auditing utility. Unfortunately for it to be
effective, you must know that your system is clean. The only way to be
100% sure would be to run it after a fresh install from protected media,
and before any network connection is made.

Victor Cardona
vcardona@home.com