Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 00:35:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>, Bigby Findrake <bigby@shiva.eu.org>, jay d <service_account@yahoo.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple machines in the same network

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> <PLUG>
> Check out http://www.shopper.com/prdct/721/192.html for a head start on your
> shopping.  ;^)
> </PLUG>

Indeed, nice stuff. :-)

> <ANTI-PLUG>
> For a better price/port, see http://www.shopper.com/prdct/768/063.html
> These guys are very hard to beat -- for a few more months.  ;^)
> </ANTI-PLUG>

HP is lowballing everybody on price with this switch.  In case you're
wondering, there's also a $400 rebate on top of that already-low
price.  I'm buying one of these puppies next week to see how it works
out.  Pretty hard to pass up a 40-port 10/100 switch with pretty good
expandability for only $1400.  Lifetime warranty, too(!).  The only
Gotcha I've found by looking at the specs is that it only has a
3.8Gbit/sec backplane.  This is only enough to keep 19 100mbit ports
saturated at full duplex, but you're also paying less money for this
40-port switch than most other halfway-decent 24-port switches.  I
wonder if local switching takes place on each of the "blades"
(expansion modules).  I still think its worth the money even with the
limited backplane.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."