Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 15:14:07 -0500
From:      "Pedro Fernando Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, "R. Imura" <imura@cs.titech.ac.jp>, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Possible change in the Qt port.

Will Andrews wrote:

> Is it not possible to have a QTDIR that is compliant with hier(7)? Can I
> suggest ${X11BASE}/qt & ${X11BASE}/qt2 ? That will make it independent of this
> particular hier(7) section:
>
>               X11R6/    X11R6 distribution executables, libraries, etc (op-
>                         tional).
>                         bin/      X11R6 binaries (servers, utilities, local
>                                   packages/ports).
>                         etc/      X11R6 configuration files and scripts.
>                         include/  X11R6 include files.
>                         lib/      X11R6 libraries.
>                         man/      X11R6 manual pages.
>                         share/    architecture independant files.
>
> ..where under Pedro's suggestion (lib/) it would be against hier. But we can
> simply create a new directory under X11R6, just like WindowMaker does (in this
> particular case, ${X11BASE}/GNUstep). And it would be compliant with X11R6's
> hier(7) description above! :-)

This really breaks hier(7) just like Lesstif does. The idea is to
respect the tree structure, and not add new first level branches.

We need something like share/ but for architecture dependent files. I
didn't invent this, but AFAIK the traditional place for has been lib,
and since Qt is only used for development purposes it doesn't fit very
badly.

> >> Just because the rule isn't enforced in all cases doesn't make the
> >> rule invalid. :)
>
> May I point out that there are 2,700+ ports and (currently) only one exception
> to this "rule" (that I know of)? :-)

The problem is similar to the old Tcl/Tk discussion. There are many
"exceptions" but you won't notice them because we have symlinked the
binaries to $(PREFIX)/bin to avoid confusion. If I'm not wrong, netscape
is another case.