Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:01:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Fw: FreeBSD firewall questions

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 22:22:09 -0600 David Kelly said:
>Broke down last week when I saw SVEC 8-port hubs with 10base2 BNC too at
>http://www.onsale.com for $39.95. Bid for one (of 27 in that auction)
>and got it. $10 for UPS ground shipping wasn't as good a deal. No
>exhaustive definitive testing, but it appears to function as claimed.

Sheesh!  And I thought the $129 each I paid for a couple of Maxtech
hubs at Datacomm 3 years ago was cheap!

The electronics used in a base 10baseT hub have standardized to the
level that basic PC chipsets have, even cheap "run of the mill" ones
are fairly decent.

Of course, for mission-critial hubs, I still stick with the "big guys"
if only for the monitoring & stablity.  I use one of the Maxtechs on my
build & test bench, the other is for the household network.  (What your
house _isn't_ wired with cat-5?)

John