Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 23:39:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mdean <mdean@best.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A world of unexplored pain.

By the way for those of you who might be wondering:
Take a look at http://www.rtmx.com, from what a gather this is an excellent
product, unfortunately it comes at a price: $3995, a bit too pricey for me.
Those are just posix.1b extensions and tuning on the openbsd tree, and the
developer I talked to said that there is good chance they may release them
publicly in the near furture because of some kind of contract arangement I
didn't quite understand.

> > me to use some dedicated controller board) if that was all I wanted...
>
> I did something like this in 386bsd days for a combustion experiment.
>
> on the A-D board to watch for lost ticks by setting it for something
> like (N + fudge) times the tick interval and verifying it wasn't
> pending when I got to the control.

So are you saying you were running at an interrupt frequency of 10000 Hz
(gee wiz ma I only want 1000hz)?  So what did you see in the way of lost
tick statistics?

> We could telnet into the box, display status in a remote xterm,
> etc, without screwing things up.  It was a hack but worked well.

One word: BadASS!
Many people would have me believe this can't be done adequately with
freebsd. You wrote labpc.c (I've been using it as a reference, I have one
of those boards I want to connect the stepper motor drivers to.) excellent
piece of code, there are a lot of features of the labpc I've never even
ventured into. I particularily like its ability to post an interrupt on
completion of forming an AtoD value.  Unfortunately that doesn't work right
once youv'e connected it to an external multiplexer system, because there
is no good way to tell that the Analog Value has stabilised, you just need
to _WAIT_ a prescribed amount of time. This is precisely why I wan't to put
scans inside a 1000hz interrupt routine.

> Things have grown a lot since then.

Grown to what?