Date:      Sat, 20 May 1995 09:11:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Luukkonen <caesar@io.org>
To:        Stephen Darragh <stephen@belgarath.it.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Large IDE drives in ISA machines

On Sat, 20 May 1995, Stephen Darragh wrote:

> G'day...
>
> Is it possible to use a large (850meg) IDE drive in an ISA machine under
> FreeBSD?

	I've got the 950112 Snapshot running on a Maxtor 850meg IDE drive
now. The BIOS has been told that it is an 814mb drive and seems to work
fine (except disklabel reports some incorrent info....) Right now, Maxtor
has no drivers to support the full 850mb except under DOS. I tried
installing a newer snapshot (950412) but it would hang on reboot after
the install -- I have a sneaky suspicion it's because of the drive, but
I'm not sure...

> (Please discard the "IDE is crap" arguments for now.  :))

	(Well, they _are_ but they're also dirt cheap....:-)

caesar@io.org                            \   The end is where we start from.  |
Mark Luukkonen                            \    - T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding" |