Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 10:58:11 -0500
From:      Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>
To:        Carlos Augusto Capriotti <carlos.capriotti@mpcbbs.com.br>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router ? Read carefuly !

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Carlos Augusto Capriotti wrote:

> Here we go again.
>
> A school will be participating of an event and they asked me to set up four computers with Internet access, just to provide some curious atractions to the costumers.
>
> Ok. But the money is aways short, you know, so that I'm not going to count on four external phone lines, not going to count on high speed t1 line, well, you know.
>
> My idea is setting up the following:
>
> [Internet Provider]-----> (normal user account)
>                           (dial-up 14.4k/28.8k PPP/SLIP conection)
>                                [FreeBSD Server] -------|Windows 95 Station 1
>                                                        |Windows 95 Station 2
>                                                        |Windows 95 Station 3
>                                                        |...
>                                                        |Windows 95 Station n
>
> Ok, boys and girls. Any idea of how am I to do that ??? (Please !!!!!)

Very simple to do.... unless I missunderstood something....

Assumptions:  ISP domain name ------ isp.com
              Account Name --------- boys
              FreeBSD system name -- boys.isp.com

Therefore:  User 'peter' on 'boys' freebsd server is peter@boys.isp.com

get PPP dialup from FreeBSD server to ISP....
Demand dial PPP is better, let me know if you need sample
config files.....

Setup POP and SMTP between Windows workstations and 'boys'.

Have the Windows 95 Mail utility send all message to the boys' SMTP server
and collect all mail from the boys' POP server...

All users will have a mail box on boys and NOT on the windows machines..
Eudora will read mail from the POP server and send mail to the SMTP
server.. I set this up at my former work place.... It will allow users to
get their mail from anywhere in the local office...

Any comments or opinions in this message are my own and may or may not reflect
the comments or opinions of my present or previous employers.

                    Jerry Kendall      Border Network Technologies Inc.
         System Software Engineer      Tel +1-416-368-7157 ext 303
                 jerry@border.com      Fax +1-416-368-7178