Date:      19 Jun 2002 18:19:54 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        "Eric F Crist" <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
Cc:        "'Michael Sierchio'" <kudzu@tenebras.com>, "'Ryan Thompson'" <ryan@sasknow.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Password security

"Eric F Crist" <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com> writes:
> Of course the technology is not perfect.  Things such as cuts on your
> finger and blood-shot eyes can still fool these systems, but password
> technology has its faults too.

These are false negatives, which are annoying but tolerable.  I'm more
worried about false positives, and from what I can see they're far too
easy to provoke.

> Biometrics, on the other hand, requires a little more work.  If you
> couple basic username/password token systems, a hardware or address
> token, such as I-button/smart card and IP address, with either a retinal
> scanner or palm print, or finger print, or voice recognition, there
> becomes a greater amount of homework to be done to break into the
> system.

Not when the biometric device is so easy to fool that it becomes
practically irrelevant.  Then the "passwords & fingerprints" scheme is
reduced to just "passwords & warm fuzzy feelings".

It has been shown empirically that "state of the art" biometric
devices can be fooled by any amateur with a little ingenuity and less
than $50 in supplies.  Some fingerprint scanners are so bad they can
be tricked into scanning and accepting the latent print left on their
surface from the previous time they were used.  Others will accept an
image of a fingerprint lifted from, say, your coffee mug.  Yet others
are vulnerable to trivial replay attacks.  All of them are vulnerable
to fake fingers (made of silicone or agar-agar) whose "fingerprint"
can be reconstructed from a mold, or from a latent fingerprint (coffee
mug again) made three-dimensional with a hobby PCB etching kit.
Facial recognition systems have been tricked by photographs (or video
clips for those with "live subject" safeguards) of the subject.  Iris
recognition systems have been tricked with printouts of an image of
the subject's iris, with a hole cut in the middle for the attacker to
see through.

The fact that vendors have reacted by either denying the results or
just refusing to discuss them does not increase my faith in the
biometrics industry.

I will not trust any biometric device until vendors start openly
acknowledging and discussing possible attacks, and publishing the
methods they use to resist them.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org