Date:      Wed, 07 May 2008 14:38:51 -0400
From:      Steve Clark <sclark@netwolves.com>
To:        Fredrik Lindberg <fli@shapeshifter.se>
Cc:        Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sierra wireless compass 597 aircard (Was: Documentation)

Fredrik Lindberg wrote:
> Marcin Cieslak wrote:
>=20
>>It maybe a good idea to add 0xFFF to the usbdevs.
>>Does the "umass" driver  attach to the 0xFFF device? I would recommend =

>>adding this as a quirk to umass.c then.
>>
>>There are patches attached (ubsa.c_patch, umass_c.patch, usbdevs.patch)=
=20
>>I am using to kill the "zeroconf" CD on the UMTS. They do not always=20
>>work - i.e. umass_attach does not wait until the device is really=20
>>detached. But setting USB_DEBUG helps :-)
>>
>=20
>=20
> Since your patches deals with Option cards I'll just let you know that
> all(?) Option based devices can be switched perfectly safe from
> user land, without patching ubsa, using camcontrol.
> The command to switch Option devices is a SCSI REZERO command.
>=20
> This should be enough to switch the device, given that pass0
> is the modem (use camcontrol devlist)
>=20
> camcontrol cmd pass0 -c =E2=80=9C01 00 00 00 00 00=E2=80=B3 -i 1 i1
>=20
> camcontrol might give you an error but the device will be switched.
> Note that this is ONLY for Option based devices, I don't know about
> the Sierra ones but the linux usb_modeswitch tool might be a good start=
=2E
>=20
> Fredrik
>=20
>=20
>=20
Hi Fredrik,

This does not seem to work for me with the sierra usb device.
 usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), VIA(0x=
0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, power 100 mA, config 1, USB MMC Storage(0x0ff=
f), Sierra Wireless(0x1199), rev 0.00

camcontrol devlist -v
scbus0 on umass-sim0 bus 0:
<Aircard TRU-Install 2.31>         at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass0)
<Sierra Wireless Storage 2.31>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 1 (pass1,da0)

camcontrol cmd pass1 -c '01 00 00 00 00 00' -i 1 i1
camcontrol: error sending command
[root@sclark /usr/ports]# camcontrol devlist -v
scbus0 on umass-sim0 bus 0:
<Aircard TRU-Install 2.31>         at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass0)
<Sierra Wireless Storage 2.31>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 1 (pass1,da0)

Still shows as cd device.

 usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), VIA(0x=
0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, power 100 mA, config 1, USB MMC Storage(0x0ff=
f), Sierra Wireless(0x1199), rev 0.00

Thanks,
Steve