Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 2015 14:17:50 -0500
From:      Jason Harmening <jason.harmening@gmail.com>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Svatopluk Kraus <onwahe@gmail.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>,  Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bus_dmamap_sync() for bounced client buffers from user address space
References:  <CAFHCsPXMjge84AR2cR8KXMXWP4kH2YvuV_uqtPKUvn5C3ygknw@mail.gmail.com> <38574E63-2D74-4ECB-8D68-09AC76DFB30C@bsdimp.com> <CAJ-VmomqGkEFVauya%2BrmPGcD_-=Z-mmg1RSDf1D2bT_DfwPBGA@mail.gmail.com> <1761247.Bq816CMB8v@ralph.baldwin.cx> <CAFHCsPX9rgmCAPABct84a000NuBPQm5sprOAQr9BTT6Ev6KZcQ@mail.gmail.com> <20150429132017.GM2390@kib.kiev.ua> <CAFHCsPWjEFBF%2B-7SR7EJ3UHP6oAAa9xjbu0CbRaQvd_-6gKuAQ@mail.gmail.com> <20150429165432.GN2390@kib.kiev.ua> <CAM=8qakzkKX8TZNYE33H=JqL_r5z%2BAU9fyp5%2B7Z0mixmF5t63w@mail.gmail.com> <20150429185019.GO2390@kib.kiev.ua>

> The spaces/tabs in your mail are damaged. It does not matter in the
> text, but makes the patch unapplicable and hardly readable.

Ugh.  I'm at work right now and using the gmail web client.  It seems like
every day I find a new way in which that thing is incredibly unfriendly for
use with mailing lists.
I will re-post the patch from a sane mail client later.

> I only read the x86/busdma_bounce.c part.  It looks fine in the part
> where you add the test for the current pmap being identical to the pmap
> owning the user page mapping.
>
> I do not understand the part of the diff for bcopy/physcopyout lines,
> I cannot find non-whitespace changes there, and whitespace change would
> make too long line.  Did I misread the patch ?\

You probably misread it, since it is unreadable.  There is a section in
bounce_bus_dmamap_sync() where I check for map->pmap being kernel_pmap or
curproc's pmap before doing bcopy.

> BTW, why not use physcopyout() unconditionally on x86 ? To avoid i386 sfbuf
> allocation failures ?

Yes.

> For non-coherent arches, isn't the issue of CPUs having filled caches
> for the DMA region present regardless of the vm_fault_quick_hold() use ?
> DMASYNC_PREREAD/WRITE must ensure that the lines are written back and
> invalidated even now, or always fall back to use bounce page.

Yes, that needs to be done regardless of how the pages are wired.  The
particular problem here is that some caches on arm and mips are
virtually-indexed (usually virtually-indexed, physically-tagged (VIPT)).
That means the flush/invalidate instructions need virtual addresses, so
figuring out the correct UVA to use for those could be a challenge.  As I
understand it, VIPT caches usually do have some hardware logic for finding
all the cachelines that correspond to a physical address, so they can
handle multiple VA mappings of the same PA.  But it is unclear to me how
cross-processor cache maintenance is supposed to work with VIPT caches on
SMP systems.

If the caches were physically-indexed, then I don't think there would be an
issue.  You'd just pass the PA to the flush/invalidate instruction, and
presumably a sane SMP implementation would propagate that to other cores
via IPI.