Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 05:41:05 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How hard would it be...

At 21:15 09.04.00 -0600, you wrote:
>In message <4.1.20000410043058.00910dc0@mail.rz.fh-wilhelmshaven.de> Olaf
>Hoyer writes:
>: Well, if we are talking about the same device, rumors went that the BIOS of
>: that thingie may be reprogrammed via internet.
>
>BIOS can be reporgrammed via a program that was downloaded...  But
>only if you called a certain ISP.
>
>: BIOS update in that way also involve disabling IDE parts...
>
>No.  It doesn't.  The updated BIOS is just very picky about what it
>boots.
>
>: I don't know if that is only booting or the whole part..
>
>Only booting.  Drives detect just fine.
>
>: Have seen some hardware rewiring on another mailing list to prevent that
>: mangling of BIOS.
>
>Dremmel tools and heat guns were discussed to allow socked parts to be
>more easily accessed.  I'm trying to avoid that.

Hi!

Well, ok-

Otherwise, roll that thing up from behind- Check out if someone can
replace/hack that BIOS?

Are there any information about the mainboard manufacturer?
There are also small programs that will read out the BIOS vendor ID and
display in clear format, if it is some remotely known one...
(Yes, they are DOS, but work like a charm-Use them myself in field
service-may send you via Mail approx 100kb)

Regards
Olaf Hoyer

--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)