Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:44:56 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Syslog-ng weirdness on 9.1-RELEASE

In message <CAJ-VmomE3rhXZmokt_7Tnz6Am7GZ2oVT3EoTy9HrbDWpG8J5vw@mail.gmail.com>
, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:

>On 12 December 2012 14:04, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>> From where I am sitting, the freebsd web site is still only offering
>> version 9.1-RC3.
>
>The images have to be pushed out to ftp-master and over to the mirrors
>before the release announcement goes out.

OK.  I understand now.

>Now, we've had to pull images at the last minute due to QA/testing
>issues; hence why we don't announce that images are available once
>they're uploaded. otherwise you may install an image that is actually
>pulled and replaced before the release..

I understand.

Anyway, this is a Good Thing... that you pulled back the release.

Perhaps it will give some time to address ANOTHER bug that I think might
be considered critical by some.

Am I the only one for whom trying to install from a burnt 9.1-RC3 CD
results in multiple irrecoverable READ ERRORS on the CD?

At first when this happened I thought that I had just gotten a bad CD
(media) so I burnt another and then got the exact same errors.  I got those
errors when trying to install from the 9.1-RC3 CD while using _three_
different CD/DVD/BluRay drives on _two_ different systems.  In one of
these three cases, the errors... which were limited to a half dozen or
so in the other test cases... became an infinite loop of the same
CD read error being reported to the console over and over and over
again endlessly.

In the two cases where there was just a sequence of a half dozen or so
of these CD read errors (at one specific point in the install process)
the install process _did_ seem to complete, despite the CD read errors
reported on the console, but with one of the three CD/DVD drives I used
to simply try to do a 9.1(-RC3) install, as I say, the thing when into
an infinite loop of printing CD read errors and thus the install could
not even be completed when using that particular CD/DVD drive.  (And the
drive in question is really _not_ that old, and continues to work well
for everything else I ask it to do.)

So, am I the only one on the planet who still installs FreeBSD the old-
fashioned way, i.e. from an actual physical CD?  That's the only plausible
explanation that I can think of for why nobody (else) noticed this apparently
serious problem in the release.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  I am just going to download the install CD ISO for 9.0-RELEASE now
and see if the same thing happens with that.