Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:15:20 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jan Koum <jkb@ethereal.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Displacement of Blame[tm]

At 05:16 PM 7/13/2000, Jan Koum wrote:

>i have to agree with jkh here. my mail box is not shrinking and if people
>are dumb enough not to make a distinction between freebsd kernel and
>xjigsaw port, nothing we do will help them. not even sending them a 6 pack
>of clue with fedex overnight express delivery.

Let's be fair. They're not idiots, and I think we can help them (and ourselves)
at least a little. At the very least, we should make sure that people who
try to count bugs automatically by monitoring Bugtraq posts do not attribute
bugs in ported software to FreeBSD.

>on top of that, brett does not realize how much effort and work kris and warner
>put into making ports advisories already. instead of saying thanks, you ask for
>more!

Actually, if I haven't said thanks to them loud enough, I'll do so now: THANK
YOU! But let's also make sure that the messages have the best possible effect.

--Brett