Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:50:06 +0200
From:      PP <freebsd-net@pp.dyndns.biz>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network keep droping

Izwan Mohd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have being encountering a weird problem on my freebsd 6 , one of my remote
> machine being down frequently lately for no particular reason, when I go to
> the remote site to check then machine it was in good running condition but
> no network, it even can't ping the server on the same subnet, the only way
> to restore it back is by running:
>
> route -n flush && /etc/netstart
>
> but because it a remote machine it really troublesome to do that each time
> the machine is down, I resorted to use a crontab scripts to automatically
> run the previous command when it down, even tho that partial of the problem
> is solve I still need to know what causing it. can anyone could advise me
> where to start digging?? they is no any particular error in the log or dmseg
> when the machine dropped it connection so I'm stuck here don't know where to
> start, some help should clear something up for me
>
> TQ

This sounds vaguely similar to what I've experienced myself with an
onboard em0 on a Supermicro mainboard. NIC suddenly stopped working for
no appearent reason. Believing the NIC was bad I throw in an extra NIC
and ran the machine from that. But within a month a capacitor blew in
the PSU and when I replaced the PSU the onboard NIC worked again. This
scenario repeated 3 times in exactly the same way before I switched to
another PSU brand and haven't had any problems since. In my case I
couldn't get the NIC running with a simple flushing of the routes
though. But if nothing has changed in the software on the machine you
should probably start looking at the hardware.
/PP