Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 22:43:21 +0200 (EET)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make World question

On 2002-03-28 03:51, E. J. Cerejo wrote:

> I'm following the instructions shown at
> http://mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/mw.html to update freebsd-stable and
> I only have a question on step 9 which says to do this:
>
> Update /etc
> cp -Rp /etc /etc.old
> mergemaster -v -w 132 (eliminate '-w 132' if 132x43 video mode is not
> activated)
>
> I'm confused about this last line, how do I find out if my 132x43 video
> is activated or not?

Well, if you haven't enabled it, it's not :-)

The -w option of mergemaster passes an alternate "terminal width" option to
sdiff, the program that mergemaster uses to display differences when you do
a merge.

At home I have set my default console video mode to 132x25 because I like
being able to read text/code that is more than 80 columns wide.  This can
be done by setting inn /etc/rc.conf the allscreens_flags="" option.

hades:~$ grep allscr /etc/rc.conf | grep -v '^#'
allscreens_flags="-c destructive -b black -r black white 132x25 white black"

If you don't change this in your /etc/rc.conf, or use vidcontrol(1) in a
console terminal, FreeBSD's console is 80 columns wide and can display 25
rows.

Cheers,
Giorgos.

--