Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 23:38:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tianlin WANG <tianlin@iguana.ruralnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PLEASE HELP: Ethernet Hub, Sparc, FreeBSD

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Tianlin WANG wrote:

>   I want to build a local network system within an office with
> Pentium PC (FreeBSD 2.1.0), SparcStation (Solaris 2.5) and an
> ethernet Hub. But I have serious problems to make it work.
>
>  Pentium PC has an ethernet card and moden. The FreeBSD has been
> working for months. Because I have no direct internet access,
> I changed a line in /etc/sysconfig
> from
>   network_interfaces="ed0 lo0"
>   network_interfaces="lo0"

Um, nope, that was not a good idea.  ed0 is the driver for the ethernet
card, you NEED to configure it.  You will not be able to communicate
without it.  What kind of ethernet card is in there now?

You will also need to modify your ``ifconfig_ed0'' line below the
network_interfaces line to get your IP number in there, so the computer
knows who it is.

> Sparc has its hostname 'ultralean' and PC has its hostname 'supanee'.
> My question is how can I access one machine from another?
> Say, I want to telnet to supanee from ultralean, how?
> The following commend
>   telnet ultralean
> does not work.
>
> Your hints and help will be greatly appreciated.

Don't forget to add both hostnames to /etc/hosts so name lookups work
ok.

This is really quick and dirty, if you want any details just ask.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant